Friday 9 September 2011

Decoupage Jewellery Box

Decoupage is a great way of turning something old and forgotten into something new and beautiful. I had this old jewellery box with some sentimental value, but not going very well with the hose deco. Have a peak how it turned out. I do love it now. Something old but also something new at the same time :)






You could try doing it yourself by following these few simple steps:

1- Prepare the item by sanding it and cleaning with wet cloth. Leave to dry.
2- Use few layers of acrylic gold paint. Sanding in between the layers to keep it smooth.
3- Using diluted PVA glue with water, brush on some cut outs from gift wrapping paper.
4- Brush on few layers with PVA glue.
5- Mix powder of Gum Arabica with water and brush it over the places where you wish the cracks to appear. Dry with the hairdryer. This method of crackling is inexpensive but will require some practice in advance. Leave to dry completely.
6- Using Dark brown oil paint on a peace of felt, rub in the cracks.
7- My box has been finished with a layer of yacht gloss varnish (do not use water base varnish as it will mess up all your hard work)





1 comment:

  1. Your work is stunning! Would love to have the pattern for the Winter Set. I knit all the time and love fair isle projects. I also love your Vintage Dress - although I don't really sew very well. You are creative and have wonderful workmanship. Congrats and thanks for sharing on this blog. I'll continue to follow. I'm a fellow Knitting Paradise member...
    Knittersjoy (Dallas, Texas)

    ReplyDelete